Friday, March 8, 2013

OMG, zucchini bread!!!

I have fond memories of zucchini bread.  Throughout my childhood, it was the only way I'd eat zucchini.  My grandmother, who lived with us, made it anytime we had too much zucchini around the house, and what Hoosier doesn't have too much zucchini around the house part of the year?  I ate it spread thickly with cream cheese.  I remember an impassioned argument with my mother about why zucchini bread should count as a vegetable -- if you ate enough of it, which I was always willing to do!

Last night, using Muffin-in-a-Minute principles, I ate zucchini bread for the first time since starting Atkins almost ten years ago (March 13, 2003!!!).

Here's what I made:

MINUTE ZUCCHINI BREAD

1T butter, melted
2 large eggs, beaten
1t vanilla extract
2t pumpkin pie seasoning
1/2t salt
Artificial sweetener equivalent to 1/4c sugar (or to taste)
1/4c flaxseed meal
1 heaping tablespoon coconut flour
About 2/3c shredded zucchini
1t baking powder

Mix thoroughly in a microwave-safe bowl -- I used an oversized teacup-shaped soup bowl.  Microwave until cooked through -- 2 1/2 minutes in my microwave, but microwaves vary.  Remove from bowl and let sit upside down for a few minutes, or the "bottom" will be damp.  At this point you can microwave it again for a few seconds to heat it up, eat it cold, or slice it and pop it into the oven or toaster oven if you like it crusty.  Smear with cream cheese or your spread of choice, and enjoy the flashbacks!

This makes a big muffin/loaf.  The flaxmeal gives it a wonderful nutty flavor, but you could add nuts too if you wished.  You could even sub some nut meal for some of the flaxmeal.  Haven't tried that yet, but I will.

No comments:

Post a Comment