Friday, March 23, 2012

New Orleans Addendum -- the ultimate low-carb snack!

Can't believe I forgot to mention this.  If you're in New Orleans, head over to the new Audubon Insectarium.  Attached to their snack bar is, yes, the Eat-A-Bug Cafe, where you can sample various insect tasties.  No, I'm not joking.  Apparently they have cooking demonstrations at times, but when I was there, all they had was several dishes out to taste.  I had to pass on most because of the sugar content -- Chocolate Chirp Cookies, really??? -- but I did try the fried crickets with southwestern spices and the cajun-spiced fried wax worms.  Believe it or not, both were very tasty, something I wouldn't hesitate to pay a couple bucks for to munch on at a movie.  Both had the exact same texture and mouthfeel as a cheese curl and they tasted exactly like what they were seasoned with.  No buggy flavor or disagreeable texture at all.  I didn't even have to grab for my water bottle after.

There were some non-fried options -- an herb dip, a salsa and so forth -- but those involved chips and crackers, and to be honest, I'm not as receptive to eating bugs in any "gooey" context.  I thought I was doing pretty good to eat bugs at all.<G>  That said, if I was in a marketplace and somebody was selling seasoned fried crickets or wax worms, I'd certainly buy some now that I've taken the plunge.  Delicious, nutritions, and low carb!

Low carb is all about adventure and life experiences.  Take a chance!

No comments:

Post a Comment