Saturday, May 5, 2012

Thinking I’d Better Add Something!


My May 3 blog entry may have left a couple of mistaken impressions – it definitely wasn’t my best-composed piece of writing ever.  No surprise; I was writing it after about a week of no sleep (worrying about my cancer exam) and a lot of anxiety.  So take it for what it is – a tired, relieved outpouring – and let me correct a couple misapprehensions I may have caused.

My life does not revolve around food.  In fact, you can ask my husband – if I don’t remind myself, I can easily forget to eat.  And when I’m working or writing, I’m all too apt to bolt down a handful of macadamia nuts or some cheese and get back to what I was doing.  So no, I don’t spend my whole day fantasizing about my next bite of food.  My idea of a perfect moment would be writing ten pages of wonderful new material, an evening playing Skyrim with my husband (he plays, I look stuff up on my iPad and back seat drive), or a dark and stormy night, my favorite recliner, a good book (preferably HP Lovecraft or Manly Wade Wellman) and two chihuahuas and a cat or two curled up on me.  Okay, I’ll admit that my mental scenarios for each of these included hot tea and a plate of cheese at my side.  I never claimed to be anything other than a cheesehead.<G>

I don’t sacrifice low carbing in the interests of indulging my every craving.  What I mean is, if I have a package of chicken drumsticks I’m going to make for dinner, I’m going to find a wonderful, delicious low-carb recipe for them, not run out and buy KFC.  My drumsticks, however, are going to be finger-lickin’ good -- as Justin Wilson would say, I GAR-AWN-TEE it, because I won't settle for less.  I’m not going to eat the same thing for lunch or dinner two days in a row.  I’m going to experiment and try new things.  I'm going to find or invent low-carb recipes for everything I want to eat.  I’m going to season my food deliciously.  Even if I reheat leftovers, I’m going to do something different with them – they get reincarnated in a whole new dish.  I refuse to settle for food that is anything short of delicious.

I don’t eat a lot of fake or processed foods.  I eat something made with Carbquik probably once every two to three months.  Dreamfields pasta, the same or less.  Once or twice a month I’ll eat an Atkins bar.  I’ll make a low-carb dessert less than once a month, usually if we’re pitching in somewhere.  Yes, I have these things whenever I want them.  Thing is, I don’t want them all that often.  Surprisingly, I suppose, eating these things doesn’t cause me to want more of them.  But the ability to eat garlic cheddar biscuits at home makes it a heck of a lot easier to walk away from them at Red Lobster.  As for pasta, I’m a great fan of House Brand Tofu Shirataki and eat it frequently – probably as much as once a week.  But by far, my diet consists of fresh poultry, meat, fish, seafood, fresh vegetables, nuts, and high-fat dairy.  We rarely even eat frozen vegetables, and canned even less.  Everything else is a pretty negligible addition.

I don’t eat off plan at the drop of a hat.  I didn’t even take an off-plan meal to celebrate the all-clear at my cancer exam.  The hubby and I very rarely eat off plan, and when we do, we do it within specific parameters.  For example, we never eat sugar, and we never eat regular pasta (the former because at this point it would probably make us sick; the latter because we know it makes us sick), and we take off-plan meals, not off-plan days.  So please do not interpret what I wrote to mean, “Hey, if it makes my taste buds happy, I’ll eat off plan.”

Also, please bear in mind that my husband and I have been low carbing for nine years now.  We know what we can and can’t do to sustain our way of eating.  If you’re newer at low carbing, you may need more “straight and narrow” than we do.  You also may be one of those “food addiction” people who eat one bite of sugar free chocolate and immediately run out and scarf down a pound of Snickers bars.  I cannot speak for you, your needs, your strengths, your weaknesses.  Personally, I can eat one bite of sugar free chocolate most of the time and then turn around and walk away.  You may not be that person.

So . . . this may be the world’s longest disclaimer, and some people out there may still think I’m setting a bad example with my hedonistic approach to low carb.  But, as I’ve said before – Paul and I have stuck with it for nine years; we must be doing something right!

No comments:

Post a Comment